If you are interested in the power of communications and community organizing to create change, our internships are a great learning and career development opportunity. We are looking for a summer intern in our Seattle and Oakland office, who is interested in digital and creative storytelling and has the skills to match. The ideal candidate has a background in photography, video editing, audio and/or writing and editing.
We are a mission-driven nonprofit PR firm that works in support of social change. We provide communications services to a variety of progressive groups and causes, but also operate independently or in coalition when we see unmet communications needs in the field. We work on issues that have an impact on the health of people and planet, including climate change and clean energy, social and environmental justice, food and farms.
Responsibilities may include:
- Support staff with photography and/or video to help capture visuals used for partner projects and internal marketing.
- Create and edit social media visuals and videos (we can provide access to Adobe suite programs such as Premiere, Lightroom, Photoshop and Adobe Spark)
- Conduct research and write briefing papers for communications projects.
- Use digital platforms for outreach campaigns, including Facebook, blogs, Twitter, etc.
- Measure and evaluate social media activity and conversations.
- Draft basic media outreach materials such as background briefings, fact sheets, opinion pieces and letters to the editor.
- Compile media coverage to help keep clients up to date on our work.
- Build media lists from reporter databases for media campaigns.
- Pitch reporters on environmental, health media and other issue-based stories.
- Copyedit and proofread reports, grant proposals and media materials.
- Create visuals for partners’ social media channels and other. (An interest in visual storytelling a plus.)
- Write and edit blogs for the Resource Media and Visual Story Lab blogs.
What you will need to be successful:
- Curiosity, and a willingness to listen, learn and continually grow and improve.
- Passion for social change and communications.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Working knowledge of MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint and a willingness to learn other programs as needed.
It’s a plus if you have one or more of the following:
- Photography, video editing, audio recording and/or graphic design skills (we provide access to Adobe Suite)
- Experience with digital organizing tools such as EveryAction or Salsa
- Knowledge of how to leverage paid and promote ads on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and/or LinkedIn
- Proficient in a second language
Resource Media requires that our interns be paid for their time and work. Applicants will be compensated $20/hour and must be able to commit to 40 hours a week for 3 – 4 months.
Contact: Please send a cover letter and resume describing your relevant background and experience, citing specific accomplishments, interests, and ideas for helping us change the world.
For Seattle applicants, contact: marcela [at] resource-media.org
For Oakland applicants, contact: sarah [at] resource-media.org
Timing: Resumes will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Location: Seattle, WA or Oakland, CA
Resource Media values an equitable and inclusive workplace. We are an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to engaging the skills and leadership of people of color, LGBTQ persons, and other individuals from diverse backgrounds. People from these and other historically marginalized backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Please visit our website for more information regarding our work and who we are.