About Resource Media
We are a mission-driven nonprofit communications firm that works in support of social change. We provide communications services to a variety of progressive groups, but also operate independently or in coalition when we see unmet communications needs in the field. We work on issues that have an impact on the health of people and the planet, including climate change and clean energy, social and environmental justice, food and farms.
Resource Media’s staff of 25 is distributed across 11 offices from coast to coast. We currently utilize Salesforce for project management and time tracking, Quickbooks for accounting/finance, and a suite of cloud-based platforms for storage, collaboration and internal communications.
About the Operations Director Position
Resource Media is working to create a more just and sustainable world, and we’re looking for a senior-level Operations Director to help oversee Resource Media’s business operations. The ideal candidate will be motivated by social justice and excited by the prospect of helping a communications consulting firm with a $5 million-plus budget adopt new business practices that maximize our impact. You should be skilled at the basics of nonprofit management and eager to challenge conventional wisdom and the status quo. Location can be flexible for the right candidate, but ability to work out of either our Seattle or Oakland offices is a plus.
Resource Media values a diverse and equitable workplace. We are currently in the fifth year of an equity and inclusion initiative that aims to boost our ability to recruit and retain diverse staff and effectively work in historically underserved and under-resourced communities. The Operations Director will have a key role in ensuring our internal structures, policies and procedures support these goals and values. Experience and expertise on integrating equity, diversity and inclusion into business operations is a must.
Our ideal candidate is a collaborative self-starter with extremely strong emotional intelligence, demonstrated leadership advancing justice, equity, diversity and inclusion through operations, a strong background in HR and proven experience managing all aspects of operations. We seek someone with a passion for organizational management in the context of justice and social change.
The Operations Director will be accountable for the planning, directing and coordinating of Resource Media’s human resources; facilities and business management; accounting and finance; justice, equity, diversity and inclusion (JEDI); and information technology functions. The Operations Director will develop and oversee a team of staff and consultants to execute operations priorities and work in partnership with the Executive Director and Deputy Director, along with operations staff and consultants, to ensure Resource Media follows best practices for a nonprofit organization. The Operations Director sits on the Operations and Equity standing committees and advises the Executive Director and Board of Directors on decisions affecting Resource Media policies or procedures and significant issues related to Resource Media operations. This full-time exempt position reports to the Executive Director.
Oversee all aspects of human resources, including:
- Maintain industry knowledge and develop and administer HR and benefits policies to support Resource Media’s strategic goals and values, including JEDI, and comply with all applicable regulations.
- Work with staff, including the Spirit Committee, to develop policies and routines to support staff well-being.
- Oversee recruitment, hiring, orientation and retention strategies to build and support a strong staff team.
- Design and administer employee compensation and benefits programs to ensure we are competitive and equitable.
- Support managers in mentorship, leadership development and accountability.
Facilities and Business Management
Work with the Executive Director and Deputy Director to manage all aspects of organizational governance, operations, and information technology, including:
- Analyze internal procedures and plans and implement changes to improve operations and workflow coordination.
- Work with staff and consultants on strategic planning.
- Maintain appropriate business registrations, corporate documents and business insurance.
- Advise on the lease or purchase of office space, office equipment and furniture.
- Continually evaluate software and hardware to maximize productivity.
- Solicit and administer contracts to provide information technology support services.
Accounting and Finance
- Work with Executive Director, Deputy Director and Grants Manager to:
- Ensure accurate and timely financial reporting to staff, the Board of Directors and external audiences.
- Supervise financial staff and consultants and ensure they have appropriate support.
- Oversee the preparation of Resource Media’s annual organizational budget and financial audit.
- Oversee organization-wide purchasing and seek opportunities for efficiencies.
- Maintain bank relations.
Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (JEDI)
Support and participate in the organization’s equity and inclusion journey, including:
- Demonstrate a keen understanding of one’s own race, culture, background and identity and how it fits into the staff and client environment and landscape, as well as the world at large.
- Demonstrate a willingness to confront and explore institutional and systemic biases and negative manifestations of dominant culture across the organization and/or within specific offices or portfolios and work collaboratively to enact solutions.
- Demonstrate an ability to communicate across differences that exist between executive leadership, management and direct reports in a way that fosters learning, understanding and advancement of staff of color.
- Work with staff to develop JEDI goals, targets and areas for improvement
- Work with staff and the Equity Standing Committee to develop annual priorities for JEDI advancement
- Track progress against JEDI goals and targets and report to staff, board and externally
- Support Resource Media’s Equity Standing Committee
- Hold staff accountable for meeting JEDI goals
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- A management style that is goal-oriented, but flexible, that respects the capabilities and independence of staff, but provides them with a clear sense of direction
- A minimum of 10 years of relevant work experience
- Human resources subject matter expertise, including federal and state laws.
- Sufficient knowledge and understanding of GAAP, accounting, and budgeting principles to enable oversight of finance consultants and staff.
- General understanding of software, hardware, and networking.
- Demonstrated experience in business administration, including knowledge of the aspects of business management that are unique to the nonprofit industry.
- Knowledge of policy and the principles of business and organizational planning, coordination, and execution.
- High level of integrity with an outstanding reputation for business ethics.
- Proven leadership ability.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize and follow through.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to exercise discretion and judgment, particularly related to confidential or sensitive information.
- Ability to set priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem-solving skills which support and enable sound decision making.
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
As a member of the Resource Media team, the Operations Director:
- models patience, tolerance, curiosity and compassion at times of high stress or anxiety within the organization or for individuals who work here;
- works well independently and as part of a team and respects and supports colleagues;
- conceives of individual actions as part of a greater whole;
- possesses a high standard of integrity and an open and honest manner of communication;
- demonstrates flexibility in working style and range of work performed;
- can solve as well as identify problems;
- takes initiative and sees projects through to completion;
- seeks new challenges and professional opportunities;
- believes that equity is the cornerstone of progress toward a just and sustainable world;
- thrives professionally in an innovative, constantly evolving work environment.
Contact – Please email your resume and cover letter with the subject “Operations Director” to email@example.com. No phone calls please.
Timing – Resumes will be reviewed on a rolling basis and accepted until the position is filled.
Location – Our preference is Seattle or Oakland, but we can be flexible for the right candidate.
Compensation – Annual salary of $140,000 – $180,000 depending on experience.
Benefits – Our generous benefits package includes medical, dental and vision insurance, 403b matching program and cool office perks.
Resource Media is an equal opportunity employer. Resource Media prohibits discrimination because of race, color, religion, creed, sex, gender, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, ancestry, citizenship, national origin, age, marital status, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic characteristics, veteran or military status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. This policy of non-discrimination applies to all employment practices including recruitment, hiring, compensation, benefits, promotion, training, transfer, discipline, layoff, recall, termination and the like.
At Resource Media, we believe that equity is the cornerstone of a just and sustainable world. We embrace and encourage differences that make our employees and our partners unique. We are humble about our progress on this journey and committed to building cultural competence and fighting oppression in all its forms.