Resource Media is working to create a more just and sustainable world, and we’re looking for a communications strategist to join our team. We’re seeking someone that is excited to harness the power of communications and community to create change. You should know what it means to tell a good story, from the Twitterverse to the New York Times, and understand the tools available to share it.
We are a mission-driven nonprofit PR firm with a unique point of view. We provide communications services to a variety of progressive groups, but also operate independently or in coalition when we see unmet communications needs in the trenches where advocates are fighting for change. We work on issues that impact the health of people and planet, from climate change to clean energy, family planning to food and farms.
Our ideal candidate has a background in communications, and experience working in a political or grassroots campaign context. You should understand the changing media landscape, and know how to shape and move a message to reach its intended audience.
Resource Media values an equitable and inclusive workplace. We are an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to engaging the skills and leadership of people of color, LGBTQ persons, and other individuals from diverse backgrounds. People from these and other historically marginalized backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
We are looking for a creative problem solver with the ability to strip a challenge down to its core elements and devise and execute strategies to build support, change minds and inspire action. We are looking for someone with the right instincts and aptitudes alongside a grounding in core communications skills, and are willing to mentor the right candidate. The program director will have the following responsibilities:
- Develop and execute communications plans for legislative and legal battles, corporate and consumer campaigns, and more.
- Coordinate campaigns across traditional and digital media, including print and broadcast news, email, video, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc.
- Create messaging and talking points, write and curate stories, draft web copy and blog posts, design social share graphics, etc.
- Enterprise and pitch stories, draft and place op-eds, maintain relationships with reporters and editors, track news coverage and manage rapid response.
- Design and scope projects with support from supervisor, manage budgets and client relationships, and collaborate with colleagues and contractors.
- Plan and facilitate meetings, including creating agendas and taking notes.
What You Will Need To Be Successful:
- High emotional intelligence and strong people skills.
- Curiosity, and a willingness to listen, learn and continually grow and improve.
- Passion for social change and communications.
- Excellent writing skills (a writing test will be required).
- A strong background (5-10 years of experience) in communications, public relations, campaigns and/or organizing.
- Basic understanding of public policy and the role of communications in building support for social change.
- Willingness to travel and work some nights and weekends, with Resource Media’s corresponding commitment to workplace flexibility to support work/life balance.
- Experience with ethnic media and Spanish-language fluency a plus.
- Working knowledge of MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint and a willingness to learn other programs as needed.
Contact–Apply for this position via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Timing–We are accepting applications through Labor Day.
Location–Our preference is to hire a program director in Washington DC, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Los Angeles or Boulder, but we will also consider candidates from other locations.
Salary–The range for this position is $75-95,000, and includes a generous benefits package.