**The application period for this position will close Monday, June 25**
About Resource Media
Resource Media is working to create a more just and sustainable world, and we’re looking for a burgeoning communications professional to help support cause-based campaigns with partners all over the U.S. We’re seeking someone with interest in developing and deploying media strategy and excited to harness the power of communications for good.
We are a mission-driven nonprofit PR firm that works in support of social change. We provide communications services to a variety of progressive groups and causes, but also operate independently or in coalition when we see unmet communications needs in the field. We work on issues that have an impact on the health of people and planet, including climate change and clean energy, social and environmental justice, food and farms.
This position provides support to teams consulting with clients, implementing communications strategies, and integrates with internal teams (HR, development, board, etc.) and efforts to improve policies, and cross-team, cross-office communication. We do not require prior experience working in any given issue area, but are looking for a candidate who has creativity and a passion for helping community-based organizations build power and improve lives.
Our ideal candidate is a collaborative self-starter, with first-hand experience working with digital and social media tools. We are looking for someone with a strong interest in political, social and environmental issues, and how they are influenced by digital and earned media. This position offers a clear path to advance their career at Resource Media and a dedicated budget for professional development opportunities.
Resource Media values an equitable and inclusive workplace. We are an equal opportunity employer with a deep and proven commitment to engaging the skills and leadership of people of color, LGBTQ persons, and other individuals from diverse backgrounds. People from these and other historically marginalized backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Program coordinators at Resource Media are multi-tasking, creative problem solvers. Your job is to execute strategies that command attention, change hearts and minds, inspire action, build brands and mobilize coalitions, all while carefully stewarding our clients’ limited resources. We are looking for someone with a strong interest in social change and great communications instincts; we are willing to mentor the right candidate. The program coordinator will have the following responsibilities:
- Help execute communications plans for legislative and legal battles, corporate and consumer campaigns, and more.
- Research media stories and social media activity and analyze based on audiences, markets, messages, spokespeople, etc.
- Track and evaluate media values and social media activity, pulling out the most relevant information in reports for clients
- Assist team members with quality control for materials and deliverables for trainings, presentations and meetings, including handouts, slide decks, graphics, reports, etc.
- Use our online reporter database and release distribution service to create media lists and send and track press campaigns
- Conduct media outreach and create new media relationships with journalists through a wide range of tools, including pitches, media advisories, news releases, op-eds, and social media
- Staff media events to support event logistics and serve as social media arm
- Find and manage vendors for website builds, graphic design, SEO, etc.
- Advise internal teams on social and digital strategy, leveraging a variety of tools including paid and promoted budgets, influencers, content channels, online calls to action and online media placements
- Help conceive of and produce content for digital media, including social videos, memes, slideshows, story maps, web, newsletter and social media copy and online calls to action (petitions, direct email, social shares, etc.)
- Manage and track the social media accounts for clients, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and hashtags for research on issue areas and communities
Relationship and Project Management
- Build relationships and trust with clients and funders, and represent Resource Media at events and in meetings
- Facilitate easy and fluid internal communications between management and other team members to reduce delays and misunderstanding
- Support the business side of work, by adhering to timelines, budget and delegation to colleagues and contractors in order to deliver outstanding results for clients.
- A starting background (at least two years experience) in communications or public relations, in-the-field community work or academic study
- Fluency in digital media platforms and strategy, from email to Instagram.
- Basic understanding of public policy and the role of communications in building support for social change.
- A commitment to social and racial equity and justice with experience executing those values through your work.
- Curiosity and creativity, and a willingness to try things out, listen, learn and continually grow and improve.
- Excellent writing skills for both media and funder audiences using AP style (a writing test will be required).
- Excellent working knowledge of MS Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Experience in a complementary field, such organizing and community outreach, advertising and other creative fields, event management or public affairs.
- Familiarity with one or more media research tools, such as Cision, Meltwater, Lexis Nexis, Radian 6, Sysomos, or Crimson Hexagon.
- Visual storytelling technical skills and background.
- Experience with multicultural communications, ethnic media and second-language proficiency.
Contact—Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “Program Coordinator” and your name in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
Timing—Resumes will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Location—Downtown Seattle, WA
Salary—$45-60k/year, dependent on experience, and includes a generous benefits package including medical, dental and vision insurance, 403b matching program and cool office perks.