Resource Media is seeking to add an experienced earned-media placement contractor to support our impactful climate team. The contractor will assist our team with strategic communications support working with two distinct projects: the Energy Media project, which supports communications activities in 21 states in the US focused on advancing climate solutions, and an international network of climate communicators seeking the same objective internationally. We want someone who can help us land beneficial media hits relating to climate and clean energy in regional and non-traditional media outlets across the United States and prepare US regional stories and data for international distribution. While landing stories is a key part of this position, another key component is assisting both projects with their roles in building and maintaining a diverse network of partners. These partners and stakeholders include media outlets, environmental justice NGOs, business associations, trade unions, think tanks, the financial sector, grassroots and community groups, health and environmental experts, economists and academics. The ideal candidate will bring some existing relationships and experience working with a diverse range of experts, stakeholders, and partners in these spaces.
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced communications professional with the ambition to make a difference and play an active role in the just transition to a low-carbon future. This contract position will work closely with a regional, national and international team of peers and partners in the US as well as several countries around the world. The contractor will work closely with the US Strategic Communications Manager and one of Energy Media’s Regional Communications Directors to program day-to-day activities. This is not a full time position at this time, but the contractor is expected to be able to devote the majority of their time to this position.
About Resource Media
Resource Media works to create a more just and sustainable world by harnessing the power of communications and community to create change. As a mission-driven nonprofit PR firm, we highly value an equitable and inclusive workplace. We are an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to engaging the skills and leadership of people of color, LGBTQ persons, and other individuals from diverse backgrounds.
Resource Media embarked on an equity journey over seven years ago resulting in transformation inside and out. We are a BIPOC- and women-led organization with a majority- BIPOC staff. Our commitment to equity has transformed our internal culture and focused our practice on anchoring equity in all the work we do in the field. We believe equity is the cornerstone of progress toward a just and sustainable world, and we fight institutional injustice in all its forms, inside and outside our organization.
Our dedication to ensure the inclusion and utilization of diverse suppliers for all types of contracts is tangibly expressed by the following:
- Outreach to diverse groups to provide them with opportunities to compete for Resource Media contracts
- Consideration of diversity of a contractor when reviewing and evaluating offers from contractors
While this is a contract position, we expect this teammate to share Resource Media’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
Here are some of the things you’ll be working on as our Climate Action Earned Media Coordinator:
- Develop and maintain connections with regional and creative media outlets, journalists, producers and other stakeholders, proactively promoting relevant stories suggested by Energy Media’s teams and its broader international networks, as well as responding to their requests for advice, information, content and spokespersons.
- Develop and maintain connections with regional experts and potential spokespersons who can be engaged for commentary, analysis, interviews, etc, with a focus on building a diverse array of available voices.
- Maintain media lists, conduct media monitoring and evaluation, and prepare monthly reports.
- Track media opportunities proactively, including key items in regional political schedules and other climate and energy events.
- Assist media engagement efforts of partner organizations and key stakeholders, proactively pitching stories as well as supporting reactive media management.
- Attend industry and sector-related functions, events, and conferences and provide feedback on such.
- Identify and share climate and energy and media insights across the partner network, based on media and industry contacts as well as thorough reading of the news.
- Provide communication services, strategic advice and media relations to Energy Media state teams, partners and campaigns in key US regions, increasing the coverage of both local, national and international climate stories.
- A demonstrated interest in environmental and social issues, especially as they relate to the climate, energy, or governance sectors.
- At least 5 years of professional communications experience, e.g. in media, PR, politics, business, institutions or NGOs (international experience a plus).
- Excellent communications skills and proven strategic thinking with the ability to independently develop and implement robust communications plans.
- Business level English language skills with additional languages, especially Spanish, a plus.
- Strong track record on collaborative efforts, with an ability to liaise and negotiate with a wide range of stakeholders, including experts, journalists and civil society.
- A demonstrated ability to craft story pitches and engage with journalists to land media coverage.
- The disposition to work generously with colleagues in a high-trust global community of peers.
- The drive to be self-directed and work nimbly in the face of a lot of phone/video conferencing, time zone issues, Slack, email, etc.
- A genuine commitment to an inclusive and empowering approach to facing climate change.
This is a contract position with an expectation of between 25 and 30 hours a week devoted to working with the teams. The contractor will have access to Resource Media’s IT services, Microsoft Outlook as well as professional grade media platforms and software tools. The contractor will have to provide their own computer.
Resource Media has been doing remote work before it was cool. Candidates can be based anywhere in the United States, working from a home office / remotely. A well-functioning office set-up and excellent internet connection are a must. You must have the right to work in the United States.
We would like to have this position filled by April 1st at the latest.
How to apply
Interested candidates should submit a proposal, resume and work examples to jobs@Resource-Media.org. Please have “Climate Action Earned Media Coordinator” in the subject line. Please include your name in the file name of your Resume and Cover letter.