About Resource Media
Resource Media creates a more just and sustainable world in collaboration with a wide range of valued partners, and we’re looking for an experienced strategist to advance cause-based communications campaigns. This position will be based in California and lead a suite of West Coast projects focused on water, land protection, clean energy and environmental justice. We’re seeking someone with several years of experience developing and deploying media strategies who is excited to harness the power of communications for good. You should know what it means to tell a good story, from the Twitterverse to the Sacramento Bee, and understand the tools available to share it.
We are a mission-driven nonprofit communications firm that works in support of social change. We provide communications services to a variety of progressive groups and also operate independently or in coalition when we see unmet communications needs in the field. We work on issues that have an impact on the health of people and planet, including climate change and clean energy, social and environmental justice, food and farms.
Resource Media values an equitable, multicultural workplace. We are an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to engaging the skills, perspectives, and leadership of people of color, LGBTQ people, and other individuals from marginalized backgrounds; we encourage these candidates to apply for this position.
This position will help lead several West Coast projects, consult with clients, develop and implement communications strategies, and cultivate new relationships and business opportunities. We seek a candidate with strong experience working in California who understands policymaking and the media landscape and relishes the opportunity to work side-by-side with advocates in the thick of California’s most pressing water, energy and land policy debates. We are also seeking creativity and a passion for helping community-based organizations power up their advocacy.
We are flexible about location, but will give preference to candidates who can work in Sacramento or our Oakland office.
Our ideal candidate is a collaborative self-starter with a background in consulting and experience working in a political or grassroots campaign context with good project management skills. We are looking for someone with a successful earned media track record, who knows how to shape and move a message and brings an enterprising approach to media relations. You should understand the changing media landscape, and be comfortable developing and executing digital and social media strategy.
Senior program directors at Resource Media are dynamic, creative problem solvers. They lead major projects and manage and delegate work from other staff and consultants. In addition to serving as the strategic lead on key issues and campaigns, senior program directors also steward relationships with key funders and partners. The senior program director will have the following responsibilities:
Project Management and Leadership
- Provide creative and strategic direction for several projects.
- Serve as day-to-day point person with clients and manage relationships with partners and funders.
- Provide quality control based on previous professional experience and company standards.
- Oversee work of other staff and consultants, and manage timelines, budgets and metrics-based reporting.
Communications Strategy & Messaging
- Develop and execute communications plans for legislative and legal battles, corporate and consumer campaigns, and more.
- Offer expertise on narrative change and ethical storytelling practices, and specifically on who tells stories and how they are told.
- Offer expertise on power dynamics in communications and storytelling.
- Research and deploy messaging strategies that persuade target audiences, preserve reputation and pique media interest.
Media Relations & Social Media
- Develop creative content ideas, including multimedia stories, web copy and blog posts, social campaigns, etc. for clients.
- Coordinate campaigns across traditional and digital media, including print and broadcast news, email, video, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc.
- Conduct media outreach and build upon strong working relationships with media contacts through a wide range of tools, including news releases, op-eds, events and social media.
Relationship and Project Management
- Build relationships and trust with clients and funders, and represent Resource Media in coalitions.
- Manage relationships across power differences, knowing how to vary approaches.
- Design and facilitate communications planning workshops, client meetings, and trainings.
- Manage projects from scoping to reporting, including timelines, budget and delegation to colleagues and contractors in order to deliver outstanding results for clients.
- A strong background (7-10 years’ experience) in communications or public relations, along with top-notch strategic instincts.
- Solid reporter relationships and a proven track record of media placements.
- Strong understanding of California and national public policy, and the role of communications in building support for social change.
- Ability to manage projects and budgets efficiently and resourcefully for clients with ambitious scopes and limited resources.
- Ability to understand audiences, behaviors, messages and communities online, to direct digital and social media strategy that works, and achieve key performance indicators.
- Fluency working directly with digital media platforms, including email marketing, Facebook, WordPress and Instagram.
- A demonstrated commitment to social equity and racial justice and how these issues play out in California communities and circles; experience executing your values through your work.
- Curiosity and joy of learning, with a collaborative spirit that seeks to listen, give and receive feedback thoughtfully, and continually grow and improve.
- Excellent writing skills for both media and funder audiences (a writing test will be required).
- Willingness to travel and work some nights and weekends, with Resource Media’s corresponding commitment to workplace flexibility to support work/life balance.
- Expert knowledge of MS Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Experience managing project budgets of $100K or more, and experience working within a billable hours model.
- Experience working on water, energy and lands policy in California will be given preference.
- Experience in a complementary field, such organizing and community outreach, political advocacy/campaigning, advertising and other creative fields, strategic planning, impact evaluation or public affairs.
- Familiarity of one or more media valuation tools, such as Cision, Meltwater, Lexis Nexis, Radian 6, or Sysomos desired.
- Visual storytelling skills and background.
- Experience working with multicultural media outlets, community influencers and/or social platforms
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Spanish-language proficiency.
Salary & Benefits
Salary—Starting range is $95,000 – $125,000 and includes fully covered medical, dental, life and vision insurance, 403(b) retirement plan and company matching program, commuter benefits, 10 days of sick leave, 4 personal days, 15 vacation days, 11 holidays and a winter break. Our coworking office space in Oakland includes a ping pong table, an espresso machine, local brews on tap and weekly happy hours.